EUGENE, Ore. -- Eugene has made PeopleForBikes' top 20 most bikeable cities list, taking third place.
PeopleForBikes released their second annual ratings for the best cities to bike:
- Boulder, Colorado
- Fort Collins, Colorado
- Eugene, Oregon
- Manhattan, New York
- Arlington, Virginia
- Lawrence, Kansas
- Borough of Brooklyn, New York
- Portland, Oregon
- Madison, Wisconsin
- Minneapolis, Minnesota
PeopleForBikes have taken surveys from over 500 cities in the U.S. that are then scored based on five key areas:
- Ridership (how many people are riding bikes)
- Safety (how safe is it to ride bikes there)
- Network (how many bike lanes or bike areas there are)
- Acceleration (how fast the bike network is expanding)
- Reach (how well the network serves everyone in the community)
"We focused this year's efforts on engaging more cities to improve accuracy of ratings," director of research Jennifer Boldry said. "Better accuracy provides a more valuable tool that helps cities benchmark, set goals and measure progress."
The overall goal for the organization is to make cities more accessible and safer for all bike riders. By doing these surveys and collecting data, they can provide possible solutions so cities can change.
If you would like to be more involved with PeopleForBikes, you can join in on their webinar conference on May 14, from noon to 1 p.m. PT. To register, click here.