BREAKING NEWS OHA now recommending mask use indoors regardless of vaccination status Full Story

Family loses everything in house fire

Babcock says by the time crews arrived, everything was lost.

Posted: Mar 23, 2019 6:13 PM

WALTON, Ore. -- A family is standing strong after losing everything in a house fire Monday. 

Pare Babcock, the homeowner, says shortly after she fell asleep Monday night she was woken up by her husband telling her and their daughter to get out of the house. 

RELATED: Fire burns through Walton home. 

Smoke and flames were coming from their living room and were quickly spreading. Babcock says she believes the fire could have started in the chimney connected to a pellet stove in their living room. She also says crews did not arrive for 20 minutes and by that time - the home was a total loss. 

"We lost everything," said Babcock. "Everything we had or created before… we lost everything." 

But she also tells me that the family is continuing life as normal because they don't want the fire to have taken everything from them.

"If we stop doing everything - we're going to lose everything so we try to keep going - try to clean up the house and whatever we can do to bring our home back," Babcock said. 

The family is currently staying with Babcock's aunt, but to make the fire even more devastating they do not have insurance. She told KEZI that the home was so old and needed so many repairs that their money went toward that when they first moved in seven years ago.

The family has a dog and a cat. They got the dog out just fine, but the cat ran off and they are just hoping she comes back. 

There is a GoFundMe page set up for the family where you can donate here.

Partly Cloudy
89° wxIcon
Hi: 88° Lo: 63°
Feels Like: 87°
87° wxIcon
Hi: 84° Lo: 59°
Feels Like: 85°
Partly Cloudy
88° wxIcon
Hi: 87° Lo: 65°
Feels Like: 85°
North Bend
64° wxIcon
Hi: 67° Lo: 53°
Feels Like: 64°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner


Community Events