MCMINNVILLE, Ore. (AP) -- Oregon State Police say three people were killed and another person was seriously hurt in a head-on collision on a highway southwest of Portland.
State Police said Joseph Hawkins, 18, of Salem was killed in the crash along Highway 18 near McMinnville Saturday afternoon.
Police said Sunday that the preliminary investigation shows Hawkins was driving alone, heading eastbound, when he crossed into westbound lanes and hit a Subaru Legacy.
Two passengers in the Subaru were killed. Police identified them Mary Verdier, 59, of Vancouver, Washington, and Susan Heffel, 60, of McMinnville.
A Vancouver man was taken to a hospital with serious injuries.
Police say they don't know yet why Hawkins entered oncoming traffic.
- Three killed in head-on collision in McMinnville
- Head-on collision near Junction City sends two to hospital
- UPDATE: OSP identifies drivers in head-on collision near Junction City
- Highway 126 closed after multiple collisions
- 2 killed in head-on crash north of Monroe
- Four killed in fiery head-on crash near Yoncalla
- Several injured in collision between school bus and minivan
- Lane County strike team headed to California
- Heceta Head Lighthouse to close for repairs
- Ducks name Gamble head lax coach