SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- Eugene-Springfield firefighters responded to a field fire that burned near homes in Springfield Saturday afternoon.
Neighbors described a wall of smoke behind their homes near 49th and Elderberry.
A man who lives in a house adjacent to the field said he saw trees in his backyard fully engulfed in flames.
"We got a knock on the door and the gentleman asked us if we had any kids in the house, we said yes and he said get the kids out now...there's fire behind you in the field," said Donny Weinberg, a Springfield resident. "I looked out the door and saw a wall of flames and I grabbed my sister and they told us to get as far away as we could."
Fire officials said they were able to get the fire under control before it spread to any homes.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
- Fire crews battle field fire in Springfield
- Drone crash starts fire in Springfield field
- Crews contain field fire in Pleasant Hill
- Crews respond to fire at Springfield Albertsons
- Crews battle house fire in Coquille
- Crews from across Oregon battle Klamathon Fire
- Wildland fire crews battle blazes, extreme heat
- Crews battling brush fire near Vida
- Crews battle boat fire on Siuslaw River
- Crews battle four fires in Douglas County