MYRTLE CREEK, OR. -- A Myrtle Creek man is in jail after a former Marine and another man said they took matters into their own hands.
“But he was just out of his mind. He was ranting and raving and swearing. It was crazy,” said former Marine John Renard.
Renard said he's had to deal with Loveton several times over the last two years.
The latest incident was Tuesday night, when he knocked him out with one punch.
The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office said they got a call from neighbors saying Loveton was in the street with a knife.
One man pulled up in a truck and held Loveton at gunpoint.
Renard said when he walked over to the two men to try to calm Loveton down, Loveton started taunting him.
So Renard did what he had to do.
“And he said ‘You want some of me, old man?’ He put his fists up, so I did the only thing I could do. I knocked him out. When he woke up, the guy with the gun was standing there and held him there until the police got there.”
Several other residents on Donald Terrace in Myrtle Creek said Loveton's been a menace to their neighborhood since he moved to the area two years ago.
“He’s threatened me, because he didn’t feel like I was taking good enough care of my animals," said Shirley Murray. "He tried to fight pretty much everybody on the street at one point. I’ve had to testify at a grand jury against him.”
Murray said it’s been one thing after another.
“When he moved in, it was all, the police have been in down here multiple times. At one point, swat was down here because he was shooting a gun in the air. Everyone’s just kind of on.. vigilant right now, trying to make sure we’re all safe.”
Loveton is being held at the Douglas County Jail on at least seven charges, with several more still pending through the District Attorney’s office.
- Former Marine knocks out man threatening neighbors with knife
- Police: Man threatens others with knife
- Police: Man threatened officers with bow and arrow, knife
- Man accused of threatening woman with knife in Coos Bay
- Corvallis man accused of threatening to kill neighbor with ax
- Lakeside robber threatens to 'stick' victim with knife
- Menacing suspect arrested after threatening officer with knife
- Salem police arrest man after woman kidnapped at knife point
- Portland police shoot man armed with knife in downtown building
- Springfield Subway robbed by masked man with knife