EUGENE, Ore. -- Former Oregon football lineman, Doug Brenner, has filed a $11.5 million lawsuit against the University of Oregon, former Ducks head coach Willie Taggart, former Ducks strength and conditioning coach Irele Oderinde and the NCAA for negligence.
The lawsuit was filed Wednesday morning in Multnomah County.
It claims the NCAA, the university, Taggart and Oderinde failed to prevent injury to student athletes during a 2016 workout.
Current Oregon football players Sam Poutasi and Cam McCormick were also hospitalized in the workout in addition to Brenner. The former two are not parties in this current lawsuit.
Brenner was hospitalized with Rhabdomyloysis, which is a breakdown of skeletal muscle due to direct or indirect muscle injury. The lawsuit also claims that Oderinde did not carry "industry-required certification to be a strength and conditioning coach."
At the time, Oderinde was suspended without pay for one month. Taggert and some of his staff have since departed Oregon, moving on to Florida State.
All four claims of negligence revolve around an alleged failure to "regulate extreme physical regimens" or "prohibit the type of physical regimens ... imposed on student athletes."
This is a developing story. Tune into KEZI 9 Sports as it continues.
UPDATE: Official comment from the University of Oregon: "The well-being and safety of our students are our top priorities at the University of Oregon. We have been advised of the litigation filed today but have not been served a copy of the complaint, at which point we will respond appropriately in the court proceedings. In light of the pending litigation, we don’t have any additional comment at this time."
- Former Oregon lineman suing Willie Taggart, university for $11.5 million
- Web Extra: Willie Taggart After Oregon's 49-7 Loss to Stanford
- Web Extra: Willie Taggart After Oregon's 31-14 Loss to UCLA
- Web Extra: Willie Taggart After Oregon's 41-20 Win Over Utah
- Web Extra: Willie Taggart on health of players, Stanford (10/11/17)
- Web Extra: Willie Taggart on offensive improvement, UCLA (10/18/17)
- Web Extra: Willie Taggart on Utah, recent struggles (10/25/17)
- Web Extra: Willie Taggart after 38-3 loss at Washington (11/4/17)
- Web Extra: Willie Taggart on bye week, team health (11/6/17)
- Web Extra: Willie Taggart on bye week improvement (11/7/17)