EUGENE, Ore. -- A former United States District Judge is remembering former President George H.W. Bush after his death on Nov. 30, and he said there's a special moment he will never forget.
Michael Hogan, the former judge, recalls President Bush calling him in 1991 and asking him to serve on the U.S. District Court.
Hogan said he will never forget their phone conversation.
GEORGE H.W. BUSH'S FUNERAL: The first farewell to a president in more than a decade
"He called when I was in consideration for appointment to be a district judge, and he says, 'Hello, this is the president, and I'm sitting here reviewing your record of public service, and I just want to congratulate you on that.'"
Hogan said he happily accepted the president's request, and he served as Chief Judge from 1995 to 2002.
He said the way President Bush presented the request was extremely gracious, and he still keeps his certificate of appointment signed by Bush in his office.
"This is a certificate that appointed me as a federal judge, so of course that's a special piece of paper to me, and I'll treasure it for the rest of my life," Hogan said.
Hogan is now a full-time mediator in Eugene.
KEZI 9 News also talked to community members about the late president:
Today -- the country observed a national day of mourning honoring the 41st president, George H.W. Bush. We asked community remembers about what they remember and respect about the former president. #GeorgeHWBush #NationalDayOfMourning @KEZI9 pic.twitter.com/PTdDrGPktI
— Madison Glassman (@MadisonKEZI) December 5, 2018
- Former U.S. District Judge remembers late President Bush
- Former President George H.W. Bush dies at 94
- Remembering Major Thomas Egan
- In The Garden: Pruning blueberry bushes
- George H.W. Bush's funeral: The first farewell to a president in more than a decade
- Springfield School District superintendent leaving
- Judges dismissed in Engler case
- Twenty years later: Community remembers Thurston tragedy
- Neighbors remember pedestrian killed in Eugene
- OHSU selects next president