HOUSTON (AP) - Former first lady Barbara Bush has died. She was 92. A family spokesman says she died Tuesday.
The snowy-haired Mrs. Bush was one of only two first ladies who was also the mother of a president. The other was Abigail Adams, wife of John Adams and mother of John Quincy Adams.
Mrs. Bush's plainspoken manner and utter lack of pretense made her more popular at times than her husband. She brought a grandmotherly style to buttoned-down Washington, often appearing in her trademark fake pearl chokers and displaying no vanity about her white hair and wrinkles.
She married George H.W. Bush in 1945. They had six children and were married longer than any presidential couple in American history.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press)
- Former first lady Barbara Bush dies at age 92
- Former Trail Blazers owner Weinberg dies at 92
- Former President George H.W. Bush dies at 94
- In The Garden: Pruning blueberry bushes
- The George Bush 4141 rolls through Eugene
- Dr. John, New Orleans music legend, dies from heart attack at age 77
- Lawyer: Oregon former first lady will file for bankruptcy
- Oregon former first lady Cylvia Hayes files for bankruptcy
- Ex-first lady agrees to settle ethics charges for $44K
- Oregon's former first lady settles with Oregonian over legal fees