SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- A close friend of Nevay Frymire, who was hit and killed while crossing Main Street in Springfield Friday night, recalls the 58-year-old as an "angel" who would take care of her elderly mother.
Lisa Taskey said Frymire was at her house on Friday when she walked to a liquor store across the street to buy alcohol for her roommate. On the way back, Frymire was hit.
"I had a home invasion happen on Memorial Day last year, and she was there for me every minute of every day, and she was like my angel, and she protected me since then," Taskey said.
Police said Frymire was not in the crosswalk when she hit by at least one car on the 5400 block of Main Street Friday night. Police have identified one driver as Barbara Babbitt, 86. Investigators said Babbitt did not stop after hitting Frymire, but was located some time later. They said it is possible that another vehicle and another driver are involved.
"My friend Nevay did not deserve to die alone," Taskey said. "She did not deserve to die alone, not like that."
Taskey said she's had close calls while walking across Main Street before and wants to see safety improvements. She plans to picket the intersection of 54th and Main streets in an effort to get a traffic camera installed.
"So that we can tell what really happened instead of just guessing," Taskey said.
She's also urging other pedestrians to use flashlights when crossing Main Street at night to be more visible.
- Friend remembers hit-and-run victim, calls for change
- Friends leave memorial for accident victim
- Accused hit-and-run driver says he doesn't know victims
- Long time friend to the Adams family remembers them fondly
- Friends remember UO student who died on Mount Bachelor
- Friends, teammates and coaches gather to remember Fotu Leiato
- Friends remember Cottage Grove man killed in officer-involved shooting
- Friends say shooting victim was killed by Eugene resident
- Residents call for change after death of girl hit in crosswalk
- Community remembers victims of McKenzie Bridge plane crash