EUGENE, Ore. -- Veterinarians in our area are sounding the alarm after more dogs have gotten sick from accidentally eating marijuana.
Dr. Sarah Yamada, an associate veterinarian at the Veterinary Hospital in Eugene, said dogs consuming marijuana or edibles is a growing concern and shouldn't be taken lightly.
"I think it's becoming more common. With marijuana becoming legalized in Oregon, more and more people are using it recreationally and people are making more edibles with it particularly, and that's where dogs tend to get the ingestion from it," Yamada said.
She said her hospital sees a couple of cases of dogs consuming marijuana every month. But emergency clinics throughout the area see it on a regular basis, with two to three cases a day.
Yamada said if owners don't take action after their pet consumes marijuana, it could be in their system for up to 48 hours and could possibly lead to a coma or even death.
But Yamada said there are certain signs owners can look for if their dog gets a taste of their marijuana.
"Drunken walking and dribbling urine, and sometimes if a dog is pretty affected, they'll start staring off or bobbing their head or just being really reactive when you get into their face, they'll kind of do that sort of thing," Yamada said.
Yamada said you shouldn't hesitate to take your dogs or pets to the emergency clinics or veterinary hospitals if you have any concerns.