EUGENE, Ore. -- Lane County health officials are urging people to take extra precautions if they have to be outside.
Health officials said the best way to protect yourself from this poor air quality is to simply stay indoors or limit outdoor activities.
But if you have to be outside, officials said you can wear a mask -- a P100 or N95 respirator. If the mask doesn't have a good seal, it won't keep the smoke out of your system. Officials also said these masks are not meant for children.
AJ Harms with Jerry's Home Improvement told KEZI 9 News people are taking steps to stay safe.
"As of today, yes, you've seen with the weather and the wind changing, blowing smoke in,” Harms said. “I’ve seen a few more people in today, but the people who are really sensitive already planned ahead because they heard about it coming."
Health officials said surgical masks don't filter out smoke particles, and neither do bandanas.
Below is a list of spaces that offer public access to cleaner air, listed by city.
• The Downtown Library (100 West 10th Ave.): Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Friday through Sunday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• The Bethel Branch Library (1990 Echo Hollow Road) and Sheldon Branch Library (1566 Coburg Road): Tuesday, noon to 8 p.m.; Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; closed Sundays.
The city operates five community centers that are air-conditioned. The hours of operation and locations of those centers are:
• Amazon Center (2700 Hilyard Street): Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Campbell Center (155 High Street): Monday, 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Tuesday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Hilyard Center (2580 Hilyard Street): Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
• Petersen Barn Center (870 Berntzen Road): Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• River House Center (301 N. Adams Street): Monday through Friday, noon to 4 p.m.
• Springfield Public Library (225 Fifth Street): Monday through Tuesday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Wednesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Bob Keefer Center (250 S. 32nd Street): Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Saturday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sunday, noon to 4 p.m.
• Willamalane Adult Activity Center (215 W. C Street): Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• New Hope Baptist Church (597 S. Front Street): noon to 6 p.m.
• Creswell Library (64 W. Oregon Ave.): Monday and Friday, noon to 6 p.m.; Tuesday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Junction City Public Library (726 Greenwood Street): Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Cottage Grove Community Center (700 E. Gibbs Ave.): 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Cottage Grove Public Library (700 E. Gibbs Ave.): Monday through Tuesday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Wednesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.