Heat lamp sparks fire inside Springfield home

They said it was caused by a heat lamp used to keep baby chickens warm.

Posted: Feb 4, 2018 10:45 AM

SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- Firefighters said a heat lamp is to blame for sparking a fire inside a Springfield home, causing thousands of dollars of damage.

It happened at a house off of E Street and 53rd Place Saturday night.

Eugene Springfield Fire said the residents were gone all day and when they returned home, their house was filled with smoke. That's when they found flames coming from a dresser in the back bedroom.

They got their dog outside and used a garden hose to partially extinguish the fire before crews arrived. Firefighter put the fire out completely. 

They said it was caused by a heat lamp used to keep baby chickens warm.

Firefighters said as we move into spring, they want to remind everyone to not use heat lamps indoors or near combustible products.

The home's damage is estimated at about $20,000.

Oregon Coronavirus Cases

Data is updated nightly.

Cases: 157079

Reported Deaths: 2296
CountyCasesDeaths
Multnomah32006550
Washington21377217
Marion18625287
Clackamas13456191
Lane10373131
Jackson8569118
Umatilla770982
Deschutes602765
Yamhill380069
Linn361357
Malheur336358
Polk308845
Klamath281655
Douglas259255
Josephine240056
Benton236618
Jefferson197630
Coos159121
Union130519
Columbia127721
Wasco122226
Lincoln113920
Hood River107129
Morrow105014
Crook78118
Clatsop7796
Baker6769
Curry4387
Tillamook4302
Lake3836
Harney2786
Grant2301
Wallowa1445
Gilliam541
Sherman530
Wheeler221
Unassigned00
Eugene
Mostly Cloudy
51° wxIcon
Hi: 51° Lo: 39°
Feels Like: 51°
Corvallis
Mostly Cloudy
43° wxIcon
Hi: 46° Lo: 36°
Feels Like: 36°
Roseburg
Cloudy
51° wxIcon
Hi: 53° Lo: 39°
Feels Like: 51°
North Bend
Clear
52° wxIcon
Hi: 51° Lo: 38°
Feels Like: 52°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner

LATEST FORECAST

Community Events