Eugene, Ore -- The two-week run of 2018 preseason award watch lists opened on Monday morning, as Oregon junior quarterback Justin Herbert and senior running back Tony Brooks-James were honored by multiple watch lists.
On Monday, Herbert landed on the 82nd annual Maxwell Award list, an award that has been presented to America's College Player of the Year since 1937. He was also named to the Davey O'Brien Award watch list the following day.
These recognitions add to the growing list of preseason awards for Herbert, who has made 15 starts over his first two seasons. He is coming off a sophomore campaign, in which he led the Ducks to a 6-2 record and 49.1 points per game in just eight starts. Despite missing games due to injury, Herbert was one of the three Pac-12 quarterbacks to throw for 15 touchdowns.
The Eugene native is the fastest player in program history to reach 3,000 career passing yards (13 games), edging out former Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota. Through his two seasons, Herbert has 24 touchdowns and just nine interceptions.
Running back Brooks-James has also garnered national attention being named to the Doak Walker Award Watch List on Wednesday. This award is presented anually to the nation's top college running back. Oregon great LaMichael James won the award back in 2010 after leading the nation with 1,751 yards rushing to go along with 21 touchdowns.
Last season, the Gainesville, Fla., product rushed for 498 yards and two TDs as part of a three-man backfield. Brooks-James displayed his game-changing ability on the first play of the 2017 season, taking back the opening kickoff 100-yards for a TD.
As a sophomore, he earned All-Pac 12 honors after rushing 771 yards and nine touchdowns after Oregon's all time leading rusher Royce Freeman missed part of the season due to injury.
Brooks-James is expected to see his role increase in 2018 after the graduation of Freeman.
- Herbert and Brooks-James listed among nation's top athletes
- Web Extra: Tony Brooks James after fall camp practice (8/16/18)
- Herbert to return for senior season
- Herbert gets academic honor for 4.06 GPA
- Herbert looking to improve consistency in spring
- Web Extra: Justin Herbert on new head coach, bowl game
- Web Extra: Justin Herbert at Pac-12 media day (7/25/18)
- Web Extra: Justin Herbert on Bowling Green opener (8/28/18)
- Dillon Brooks scores 19 in NBA debut
- Garth Brooks to perform in Eugene