SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- A woman is dead after a hit-and-run crash at 54th and Main Street in Springfield, police told KEZI 9 News.
Springfield police have identified the driver as 86-year-old Barbara Babbitt of Springfield and the woman hit as 58-year-old Nevay Anne Frymire.
Babbitt was traveling east on Main Street when she hit Nevay Anne Frymire just before 6:30 p.m. Friday night.
Frymire was apparently crossing northbound, not in a crosswalk, when she was hit.
Police said neither speed nor alcohol appears to be a contributing factor. However, it is possible that another vehicle and another driver are involved.
Local residents and nearby businesses say this is not an isolated incident.
Charles Jones told KEZI 9 News that this stretch of road is a constant hazard and he thinks drivers need to be more aware.
"To me I find it’s an every day thing," he said. "I have learned to be kind of cautious about it. And really on Main Street it’s that kind of dangerous area that the pedestrians and the drivers do really need to be careful."
"I think it's horrible and if they hit and run they were probably doing something wrong. I just hope they catch whoever did it," nearby resident Delina Porter said.
The Lane County District Attorney’s Office is involved and no charges have been filed at this time. Eastbound Main Street east of 54th Street was closed for more than two hours following the crash while investigators collected evidence and processed the scene of the crash.
The roads have since been reopened.
Police ask that anyone with information call Detective Antone with the Springfield Police Department Major Accident Investigation Team at 541-726-3714.
- 58-year-old pedestrian killed in hit-and-run crash
- Pedestrian hit and killed in Albany
- Pedestrian hit in Eugene crash dies
- Pedestrian killed in crash near Roseburg
- Pedestrian killed in crash near Roseburg identified
- Pedestrian killed in crash in Junction City
- Pedestrian seriously injured in hit-and-run on Lincoln Street
- Hit-and-run crash on Highway 99 sends pedestrian to hospital
- Pedestrian hit and killed by driver in Springfield
- Pedestrian hit in crash, suffered life-threatening injuries