EUGENE, Ore. – Home Instead Senior Care is closing the doors to their Eugene franchise, leaving seniors and caregivers in the dark.
Brian McCulloch, a representative for Home Instead, said the owner decided to shut down the business for personal reasons.
"We are working to ensure a seamless transition for clients to other home care services in the area," McCulloch said in a statement.
Mary Lemons, 74, has had strokes and has suffered from COPD for years. She said she uses Home Instead caregivers to help her with her every day needs five days a week.
She said she found out about the company closing on Wednesday and said her daughter will take care of her for a while. However, Lemons is wondering why the company didn’t give her more notice.
“It's a complete shock to me,” Lemons said. “Why didn't you tell us, give us at least two weeks?"
One of Lemons' caregivers, Maureen Mosely, said she also learned on Wednesday when she went to pick up her paycheck. She said she is now working with Senior and Disability Services to register as a home care worker with the state.
Mosely plans to continue to work with Lemons who has become her friend. Mosely said she is also worried about her other clients.
“One [client] yesterday, I was trying to explain it to her cause she didn't understand and once she got it her whole face sad,” Mosely said. “Just imagine having different people come into your house when you've built up trust level.”
McCulloch couldn't say how many people have been impacted by the franchise's closure but did stress that all workers will be paid.
Jody Cline, the director of Senior and Disability Services in Eugene, said their office is working to help connect clients with the care they need.
- Home Instead Senior Care closes in Eugene
- Downtown Eugene survey closes soon
- Missing Albany woman who left senior care facility found
- Fire destroys Eugene mobile home
- Fire forces Eugene barbecue restaurant to close
- North Eugene ninth-graders give back during Day of Caring
- Eugene veteran fights to keep his home
- Yard fire spreads to Eugene home
- Mobile homes catch fire in Eugene
- Eugene Christian School is closed today after a small fire.