Photo Gallery 1 Images
EUGENE, Ore -- Two people are now looking for a place to stay after a house caught fire Friday morning.
A house caught on fire around 2 a.m. Friday on the 29000 block of Simmons Road. Three engines responded to the fire, including Eugene-Springfield Fire and Lane Fire Authority.
Chief Terry Ney tells KEZI 9 News that two people lived in the home but only one person was there when the fire broke out.
No injuries were reported but half of the home burned and is now unlivable.
Officials said the fire started due to ashes on the front porch that came from a wood burning stove on the property.
Chief Ney said the winter conditions helped crews put out the fire, "I am sure if this fire happened in August or September somewhere in the dry season, there would have been a serious involvement of the woods. But, of course this time of year, the first of February that's just not a problem."
Neighbors across the street said the flames were as high as the trees.
"I woke up and I saw some lights and looked out and saw the flames gulfing up way above the trees. I can't belive how fast these guys got there and I am grateful my neighbors are okay," said Laurie Jones.
- Home unlivable after catching on fire
- Fire leaves west Eugene home unlivable
- Mobile homes catch fire in Eugene
- Vacant home catches fire overnight in Lebanon
- Springfield home catches fire from furnace malfunction
- Abandoned mill catches fire in Sweet Home
- Stolen U-Haul catches fire
- Vehicles catch fire in Springfield
- Resident taken to hospital after home catches fire
- Chicken coop catches fire, damages home in south Eugene