PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- The Multnomah County Sheriff's Office says a Corbett man shot and killed two cougars that were near a chicken coop.
Sgt. Brandon White says Oregon State Police and the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife have been notified, but he doesn't anticipate any charges because the man was defending livestock.
The shooter, David Callister, tells KGW-TV he was walking to the trailer where he stays early Tuesday when he almost stepped on the tail of a cougar that was under his pickup. The cougar displayed no fear.
He returned with a rifle and found a cougar starting to tear into the coop.
Callister says he fired warning shots before killing the cougars.
- Man kills two cougars near chicken coop east of Portland
- ODFW says coyote, not cougar, likely attacked Portland dog
- Cougar spotted in Springfield
- Trial begins for Portland man accused of killing daughter
- Man who killed Portland stylist, DJ gets life in prison
- Portland man gets life in prison for killing young daughter
- Man killed in Portland officer-involved shooting identified
- Lab confirms Portland crows killed by poison
- Cougar sightings rise in Springfield
- Cougar fatally shot after killing sheep near Bend