COOS BAY, Ore. – Hours after firefighters put out a fire at a Coos Bay home, the fire started up again, fire officials said.
The fire department initially received a report of a fire at about 9:15 p.m. on Sunday in the 400 block of 9th Avenue.
Crews contained the fire to the attic, and it was out by 10 p.m. A faulty light fixture was to blame, officials said. The homeowner had turned off the power before firefighters arrived.
In the fire, the roof suffered moderate fire damage, and there was some smoke and water damage to the living area, officials said.
Then, firefighters responded to the home at 4:20 the next morning after an ember from the initial fire sparked up. Officials said it had likely been smoldering in a piece of the cedar siding.
The second fire was contained near the roof.
This type of secondary fire is rare, officials said.
During the holiday season, many people place additional loads on household electrical systems with holiday lights and portable heaters, the fire department said. It can place stress on an electrical circuit, creating heat and the potential for a fire.
Officials advise residents be careful not to overload circuits and never use damaged cords.
- House catches fire twice hours apart in Coos Bay
- Coos Bay couple killed in house fire
- Fire destroyed house in Coos Bay Sunday
- Man escapes house fire in Coos Bay
- Fire destroys house in Coos Bay
- Officials investigate 'suspicious' Coos Bay house fire
- Power restored in Coos Bay after hours-long outage
- Coos Bay house fire intentionally set, investigators say
- Coos Bay man charged with arson in two house fires
- Two people hospitalized after house fire in Coos Bay