BREAKING NEWS Deputies investigating after woman is found dead in Willamette River Full Story
BREAKING NEWS OHA now recommending mask use indoors regardless of vaccination status Full Story

House catches fire twice hours apart in Coos Bay

Officials advise residents be careful not to overload circuits and never use damaged cords.

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 2:59 PM

COOS BAY, Ore. – Hours after firefighters put out a fire at a Coos Bay home, the fire started up again, fire officials said.

The fire department initially received a report of a fire at about 9:15 p.m. on Sunday in the 400 block of 9th Avenue.

Crews contained the fire to the attic, and it was out by 10 p.m. A faulty light fixture was to blame, officials said. The homeowner had turned off the power before firefighters arrived.

In the fire, the roof suffered moderate fire damage, and there was some smoke and water damage to the living area, officials said.

Then, firefighters responded to the home at 4:20 the next morning after an ember from the initial fire sparked up. Officials said it had likely been smoldering in a piece of the cedar siding.

The second fire was contained near the roof.

This type of secondary fire is rare, officials said. 

During the holiday season, many people place additional loads on household electrical systems with holiday lights and portable heaters, the fire department said. It can place stress on an electrical circuit, creating heat and the potential for a fire.

Officials advise residents be careful not to overload circuits and never use damaged cords.

Partly Cloudy
72° wxIcon
Hi: 88° Lo: 63°
Feels Like: 72°
Partly Cloudy
68° wxIcon
Hi: 84° Lo: 59°
Feels Like: 68°
Partly Cloudy
79° wxIcon
Hi: 87° Lo: 65°
Feels Like: 79°
North Bend
Partly Cloudy
55° wxIcon
Hi: 67° Lo: 53°
Feels Like: 55°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner


Community Events