EUGENE, Ore. -- Construction has begun on the Jefferson and Washington street bridges as part of the Oregon Department of Transporation's Interstate 105 project, causing delays, and ODOT is asking drivers to stay safe.
I-105 westbound over the Jefferson Street Bridge has been reduced to one lane as crews begin to make repairs and improvements, including seismic upgrades.
On Friday during rush hour, a steady stream of cars were moving at a snail's pace toward downtown on I-105 westbound.
Angela Beers-Seydel with ODOT said the bridges were built in the late 1960s and early 70s and said later this week the eastbound lane on the Washington Street Bridge will be reduced to one lane. She said this is the start of a two-year project that will impact four bridges and ramps around downtown Eugene and Delta Highway.
"We'll do things down by the park. We'll be doing things on the bridge over the Willamette River," Beers-Seydel said. "We'll start shutting down ramps -- things like that."
On Monday afternoon, an accident happened not far from the construction area on eastbound I-105 near the Delta Highway exit. No one was injured, but Beers-Seydel said worker safety and driver safety come first on any project.
"We want everyone in the transportation system to stay safe," Beers-Seydel said. "We look at the structure of our construction and how they can be as safe as possible."
ODOT is urging the public to know before they go by using tripcheck.com.
To learn more about the construction work, click here.
- I-105 construction causing major delays in Eugene
- Semi flips on I-105 ramp near downtown Eugene
- Crash backs up traffic on I-105 in Eugene
- I-105 traffic changes, lane closures start Monday
- Exploding drone battery causes major damage to Eugene home
- Major delay in Roseburg teen's murder trial
- Construction delays Monroe Grade School start
- Pedestrian hit by car on I-105 hospitalized with serious injuries
- Driver arrested in five-vehicle crash that shut down I-105
- UPDATE: Man arrested, charged in January I-105 hit and run