COTTAGE GROVE, Ore. -- A major crash closed Interstate 5 in both directions south of Cottage Grove on Wednesday night, destroying five vehicles and sending five people to the hospital.
Officials say it happened around 7:45 p.m. near milepost 168.
Sgt. Hank Duren of the Oregon State Police said a southbound tractor trailer lost control and crashed into the concrete median. That in turn sent blocks of concrete into the northbound lanes, causing four passenger vehicles to crash.
Duren said a pedestrian in the northbound lanes exited his car to assist responders and was struck by another vehicle.
The injuries varied from minor to serious, Duren said, but all the victims are expected to survive.
- Multiple injuries in I5 crash
- Motorcyclist escapes serious injuries after Eugene crash
- Crash with injuries under investigation in Eugene
- Slain University of South Carolina student died from multiple sharp force injuries, authorities say
- Pedestrian hit in crash, suffered life-threatening injuries
- Teenager wins lawsuit following injury
- NCAA accuses UO athletics of multiple violations
- Report: Kitzhaber violated ethics laws multiple times
- Police investigating multiple armed robberies in Eugene
- Two people hospitalized after multiple-vehicle wreck