EUGENE, Ore. – School buses on the way to Cal Young Middle School Thursday morning were re-routed because a man was threatening suicide at a home near the school.
The man was taken into custody about 30 minutes after the incident began at 7:05 a.m. It caused a traffic disruption in the area that lasted about 30 minutes.
The man’s gun was not fired and no crime was committed, police said.
“It did disrupt school bus arrival and kids arriving at school,” said Eugene police spokeswoman Melinda McLaughlin.
She said the Cal Young school resource officer got involved and called the school principal, who then informed Eugene 4-J transportation that the buses wouldn’t be allowed near the school. The school is located at 2555 Gilham Road.
LTD had one bus in the area that was also rerouted, McLaughlin said.
Northbound traffic was allowed back onto Gilham Road at 7:35 a.m.
- Incident disrupts student arrival at Cal Young Middle School
- Middle school student hospitalized with meningococcal disease
- Hamlin Middle School students building wind turbines
- Roseburg middle school student arrested for school threat
- Suspicious man chases teen at Cal Young Skate Park
- New middle school grand opening
- Middle school student discharged after being hospitalized with meningococcal disease
- Roosevelt Middle School students present gun control project
- Middle school students participated in the Great ShakeOut
- Student arrested for threat made towards Joseph Lane Middle School