SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- International Fitness is closing its doors at the Shoppes at Gateway, but company officials say gymgoers have options.
The decision was made based on finances and issues with the lease with the mall, officials said. The gym is no longer open as of Friday, June 28.
“We’ve been fighting a battle here, paying settlements, making concessions -- and we’ve come to a place where it’s just not productive to keep fighting to come to an agreement with the man,” managing partner Troy Finrock said.
But some exisitng members are frustrated that there was no prior notice given before the gym closed.
“I understand when the rent is being raised, and you just have to go," said KellyAnn Stiles, a member for the last few years. "What I didn’t understand and like many of us are disappointed about is that we weren’t notified by Facebook a month or two weeks ahead of time.”
Members will not have to pay a cancelation fee. If you work out at International Fitness, your membership prices will be honored where you transfer to, Finrock said.
You can switch over to Village Fitness at Oakway, 170 Oakway Road in Eugene, or Village Fitness at 1009 Green Acres Road in Eugene at no additional fee until Sept. 30.
If you’d like more options, members can also transfer to Village Fitness Sport at 2728 Pheasant St. or Village Fitness Sport at 4242 Commerce St. in Springfield. People who go to one of these gyms will have to pay an additional fee as they have more facilities for gymgoers.
Finrock said International Fitness has been at its Gateway Street location for 10 years.
- International Fitness closing at the Shoppes at Gateway
- International Fitness responds after claims pool caused skin rashes
- Springfield police investigating bomb threat at Gateway Street post office
- Gateways High School students concerned about building's safety
- Fitness technology could detect diseases
- New defensive coaches fitting in
- Oakway Fitness merger increasing rates, opportunities
- Oregon sees spike in international tourism
- International 10-year salmon preservation plan advances
- Holt International announces merger with Seattle agency