EUGENE, Ore. -- Starting Aug. 1 Lane Transit District bus riders will be able to use their phone to pay for bus fares.
The TouchPass App gives riders the ability to buy their bus passes and fares by downloading the app to their phone.
Riders can add money to their account using their credit card and swipe their phones at kiosks inside all LTD buses except the Emerald Express (EmX).
Mark Johnson, LTD's assistant general manager, said the program will help shorten boarding times and provide anonymous data that will be used to improve the bus system.
"It's a long time coming, and I think the community is ready for it, our customers are ready for it, and we're definitely ready for it," Johnson said.
Johnson said they plan to expand the system to the EmX next fall. LTD will still accept cash for fares as well as bus passes.
- LTD gets ready to roll out TouchPass
- Whale carcass rolls ashore along Oregon Coast
- Springfield students "Walk and Roll" to school
- The George Bush 4141 rolls through Eugene
- Rare wave-shaped clouds roll over Virginia
- Log truck rolls over near Walton
- Curbside compost program rolling out in Eugene
- Hasbro rolls out official Baby Yoda toys
- Lane County rolling out new recycling program
- Votes roll in on Super Tuesday