LANE COUNTY, Ore. -- Lane County Search and Rescue (SAR) Explorer Post 178 is looking to add new volunteers to their program.
If you'd like to become a volunteer, SAR requires applicants to be willing and prepared to be called out at all times of the day or night, sometimes in very inclement weather and extreme conditions.
Applicants must be able to:
- Pass a background check
- Be at least 14-years-old by June 1
- Be enrolled in high school during fall 2019
- Maintain a satisfactory grade point average
- Attend the Search and Rescue Academy during the last week of June to learn the required skills for state certification
Current member William Macy said to him, the Youth Explorers program has been very rewarding.
"You just feel really accomplished when you are able to go out and do something and help someone else," Macy said. "Figuring out your needs and also being able to help someone else in need. Help them get back to their family, make them feel more safe."
To apply, you must attend the final informational meeting on Saturday, May 4 in Harris Hall at the Lane County Courthouse from 6 to 8 p.m.
Parents are welcome and encouraged to attend the informational meeting.
- Lane County Search and Rescue looking for new Youth Explorers
- Injured hiker rescued in Lane County
- Lane County deputies search for shooting suspect
- Nearly 100 dogs rescued from Lane County home
- Flooding leads to water rescues in Lane County
- Man rescued from car after crash in Lane County
- Lane County strike looms
- Lane County Deputies search for a wanted man
- Lane County Sheriff's Office searching for missing woman
- Lane County Sheriff's Office searches for burglary suspect