EUGENE, Ore. – A Lane County Sheriff’s deputy has been arrested on multiple charges, including the rape of an 18 year old female.
The Lane County Sheriff’s office was contacted by the Springfield Police Department regarding an investigation they were conducting. The Sheriff’s office assisted by Springfield Police identified their suspect as Matthew Hitson, 40, of Eugene. Hitson has been a deputy with the LCSO in the Corrections Division for three years.
On Friday, March 23, Hitson was arrested by police and lodged at the Lane County Jail on charges including rape in the first degree, furnishing alcohol to a minor, and delivery of marijuana to a minor.
According to the Sheriff’s Office, Hitson’s uniforms, badge, identification, and weapon have been confiscated.
Late Friday, the following statement was released:
"The Sheriff’s Office is saddened a member of the organization may have been involved in actions that lead to the above charges, and the impact it has on our community. The conduct reported is not acceptable, and fails to meet the standards expected of members of the Sheriff’s Office. Hitson has been placed on unpaid administrative leave pending the resolution of the criminal charges. We appreciate the Springfield Police Department’s prompt attention to this matter and we will continue to cooperate with their investigation."
The criminal case is being referred to the Lane County District Attorney’s Office.
- Lane County Sheriff's Office deputy accused of rape.
- Former Lane County deputy accused of raping another woman
- Lane County deputies make arrest in rape case from 2007
- Lane County Sheriff's Office hosts hiring event
- Lane County Sheriff's Office plans K-9 fundraiser
- Deputy accused of rape arraigned in court
- Benton County Sheriff's Office remembers fallen deputies
- Lane County deputies fire at driver accused of stealing car
- Lane sheriff’s office plans saturation patrols
- South Lane bus driver accused of raping teenager