EUGENE, Ore. -- A Lane County deputy accused of making inappropriate sexual comments has resigned as the investigation into his conduct continues.
The Lane County Sheriff’s Office said they received the initial complaint about Bryan Holiman, 42, on Nov. 1, 2018. A community member alleged that Holiman made the inappropriate comments while he was on duty. The Office of Professional Standards opened an investigation the same day.
During the investigation, the sheriff’s office learned of a previous incident involving similar behavior with a different community member, which reportedly occurred in 2016. That incident was not reported to the sheriff’s office at the time.
“It is unfortunate the conduct reported to have occurred in 2016 was not reported to the Sheriff’s Office earlier to allow a more timely investigation,” Sheriff Byron Trapp said. “We want to remind the community the Sheriff’s Office remains available to receive complaints at any time and reviews all allegations of misconduct for appropriate action. We take these allegations very seriously and the behavior reported in this case is not tolerated by the Lane County Sheriff’s Office. We are thankful to the brave community members who came forward to provide information during the investigation.”
A day after the investigation began, it was placed on hold to investigate the possibility that the allegations could rise to a criminal level. The sheriff’s office asked the Florence Police Department to take on a criminal investigation.
Holiman was placed on paid administrative leave during the investigation.
The Lane County District Attorney’s Office decided not to pursue criminal charges Dec. 11. But on Jan. 11, investigators again considered the possibility that Holiman’s conduct could rise to the level of criminal charges, and the Florence Police Department conducted a second criminal investigation.
The Douglas County District Attorney’s Office was asked to review the second criminal complaint to avoid conflict of interest concerns.
Holiman had been with the sheriff’s office since 2001.
- Lane County deputy resigns amid misconduct investigation
- Lane County deputy on leave pending investigations
- Sen. Jeff Kruse resigns amid sexual misconduct allegations
- Deputies investigate inmate death at Lane County Jail
- Lane County deputy shoots, kills suspect
- Marion County deputy arrested on theft, misconduct charges
- UPDATE: Personal relationship leads to Lane County resignations
- Linn County deputies investigate suspicious death
- Deputies investigating fatal crash in Linn County.
- Linn County Deputies investigate school shooting threat