STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

Lane County Public Health plans to administer 4,500 first doses this weekend

Lane County Public Health hosted two simultaneous mass vaccination clinics Saturday where health officials administered roughly 3,000 shots to eligible seniors and people in Phase 1A.

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 5:15 PM
Updated: Feb 27, 2021 5:18 PM

LANE COUNTY, Ore -- Lane County Public Health hosted two simultaneous mass vaccination clinics Saturday where health officials administered roughly 3,000 shots to eligible seniors and people in Phase 1A.

About 1,500 shots were given at each clinic on Saturday, Lane County Public Health spokesman Jason Davis said.

According to Kachina Inman, a volunteer at one of the clinics, operations ran smoothly.

"We strongly believe in quality improvement, so every time we do an event we get better and we learn those little kinks, but today's going really well," Inman said. "We've been practicing and getting ready to run two sites."

In total, health officials plan to administer about 4,500 first doses to people over the age of 70 during clinics on Saturday and Sunday and roughly 6,000 second doses to people who received their first shots about a month ago at the clinics from Saturday to Tuesday.

Many of those people were forced to reschedule their appointments to this week after Lane County postponed a booster clinic last week where roughly 6,700 people were originally supposed to receive their first doses.

RELATED: LANE COUNTY BOOSTER CLINIC POSTPONED DUE TO DELAYED VACCINE DOSES

According to health officials, about 80 percent of appointments that were postponed last week were rescheduled within 24 hours. The remaining 20 percent of people were able to reschedule their appointments throughout the week.

A small number of emails regarding the rescheduling process went to people's spam folders and in a few cases, eligible seniors who had already recently their first doses received the rescheduling link according to health officials. Those issues have been resolved.

Between Monday and Friday, Lane County Public Health will partner with PeaceHealth to give roughly 2,000 additional shots to eligible seniors.

In the future, Lane County Public Health expects to expand operations even more by opening up more clinics including one in Cottage Grove.

According to health officials, the amount of people eligible to receive the vaccine is greater than the supply of vaccines available. They are asking for patience from the public and are encouraging people to pre-register on Lane County Government's website if they have not done so already.

Eugene
Partly Cloudy
68° wxIcon
Hi: 82° Lo: 47°
Feels Like: 68°
Corvallis
Partly Cloudy
64° wxIcon
Hi: 79° Lo: 45°
Feels Like: 64°
Roseburg
Partly Cloudy
75° wxIcon
Hi: 84° Lo: 45°
Feels Like: 75°
North Bend
Cloudy
47° wxIcon
Hi: 58° Lo: 43°
Feels Like: 45°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner

LATEST FORECAST

Community Events