SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- An emergency shelter in Lane County is in desperate need of volunteers after a record-breaking stretch of cold nights.
This is the Egan Warming Center's 10th night in a row of being open. Several churches will be opening their doors Wednesday night to give the homeless community a safe and warm place to sleep.
The Egan Warming Center has been providing the homeless people shelter during extreme cold weather since 2008; it's named in honor of Major Thomas Egan, who froze to death.
"This is about saving lives, and in order to save lives we got to have our volunteers step up to make our sites safe," said Director Shelley Corteville.
The center activates when temperatures below 29 degrees. Wednesday is this is their last night of activation this week.
People who rely on this center tell KEZI that they are grateful: "Thank God for Eugene and the warming center. They got it down to a science now," said one frequent guest.
Shelley said they are in desperate need of volunteers for both First Christian Church (in Eugene off of 11th & Oak) and Seventh Day Adventist Church (in Springfield off of 12th and Olympic) for Wednesday night.
They will not be using St Matthew's, St Mary's or Central Lutheran Church on Wednesday night. For a full list of sites, click here.
Shelley said there are also in need of winter socks and coats. You can make a donation at one of the sites or to a St. Vincent de Paul store, just note that they are for the Egan Warming Center.
- Local emergency shelter for homeless in need of volunteers
- Homeless shelter replacing former church
- Springfield homeless shelter delays opening
- Lane County seeks volunteers for homeless count
- Volunteers brave cold to take care of shelter animals
- Portland homeless shelter project already $500K over budget
- Oregon homeless shelter executive pleads guilty to theft
- Portland homeless shelter empties because of leaking roof
- Proposed homeless shelter location stirs controversy in Corvallis
- Temporary homeless shelter to be taken down in Roseburg