EUGENE, Ore. -- A group of people from a local group called "Families for Safe Meters" demonstrated near Roosevelt Middle School calling for a 5G cell tower to be taken down.
"I'm concerned about the 5g network," said Sabrina Siegel, a community member. "The new generation of cellular coming and I know that it is a lot more dangerous than what we have."
This group is calling for more research into this new technology.
They said the health, privacy and increased costs risks are not worth it.
One of the group's biggest concerns about the cell tower's location and its proximity to a middle school.
"Having these structures being erected without even telling the public...we don't want it here," said Bekki Bruckner, a community member. "Its dangerous. The technology is way way way stronger than all of our other technologies below it."
"We just don't need anymore wireless or radiation," said Victor Odlivak. "We already have problems will people talking on their cell phones and now, we're giving them more of that."
Fore more information about the group, click here.
- New cell tower to be built in Eugene
- Cell tower along the Beltine is 'branching out'
- Two groups petition for Eugene city auditor
- 5G smartphones are coming in 2019. What does that mean?
- Air quality in Eugene unhealthy for sensitive groups
- Church group stranded in Oakridge safely returns to Eugene
- Group urges 'Wildlife Over Waste' with river cleanup in Eugene