COOS BAY, Ore. -- A man was able to escape a house fire in Coos Bay on Monday.
Firefighters in Coos Bay were called out to a fire on the 500 block of 10th Avenue at 9:10 a.m. They said smoke was coming from the roof of a two-story house.
They said the fire started in an exterior eave before spreading to the attic.
Fire crews said the wood stove in the home had been installed illegally and vented out of the window. The chimney pipe was too close to combustible materials which allowed the heat to follow directly onto the eave.
One man was inside the home when it caught fire. He was able to make it out of the home and was taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
The damage is estimated at $3,000. The resident told officials that he didn't have insurance on the home.
- Man escapes house fire in Coos Bay
- Coos Bay couple killed in house fire
- Fire destroyed house in Coos Bay Sunday
- Coos Bay man charged with arson in two house fires
- Coos Bay man charged with murder
- Coos Bay man dies in logging accident
- Police fatally shoot Coos Bay man
- Coos Bay house fire intentionally set, investigators say
- Coos Bay deputies arrest bank robbery suspect
- McAuley Hospital in Coos Bay demolished