CRATER LAKE, Ore. (AP) -- The man who drowned after jumping off a rock cliff into Crater Lake was a student at Oregon State University.
Crater Lake National Park spokeswoman Marsha McCabe says 27-year-old Sumedh Mannar jumped off the cliff at Cleetwood Cove Sunday afternoon and did not resurface.
McCabe told the Oregonian/OregonLive that Mannar was a graduate student at the university from India.
McCabe says the cliff Mannar had jumped from was about 25 feet high.
The cliff, known as "Jumping Rock," is a popular recreation spot, she said, and it was not prohibited to jump.
Divers on Monday morning dove in the last known spot Mannar was seen and found his body down in the water on a rock ledge.
- Man who drowned at Crater Lake was OSU student
- Man drowns at Crater Lake
- Entrance fees increasing for Crater Lake
- Man rescued after falling 800 feet into Crater Lake
- Visitor spending at Crater Lake has economic benefit
- Crater Lake saw few visitors because of wildfire smoke
- Crater Lake National Park Offers Ranger-Guided Snowshoe Walks
- North Entrance Road Opens at Crater Lake National Park
- Campfires banned from the backcountry at Crater Lake National Park
- Crater Lake access road opens; 2 campsites close down