Discarded match sparks fire in Sweet Home garage, officials say

Damage is estimated at $75,000.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 10:51 AM

SWEET HOME, Ore. – A match caused a garage to catch fire in Sweet Home, fire officials said.

Residents opened their garage door and found that it was on fire. They escaped uninjured and called 911.

More than a dozen firefighters responded to the 900 block of 2nd Avenue and put the fire out before it spread to the house.

Damage is estimated at $75,000, which includes damage to the garage and the loss of its contents. The home also sustained significant smoke damage.

A deputy from the Oregon State Fire Marshal’s Office investigated. The fire was determined to have been caused my a match that was discarded into a pile of clothing, officials said.

Eugene
Cloudy
51° wxIcon
Hi: 57° Lo: 49°
Feels Like: 51°
Corvallis
Cloudy
48° wxIcon
Hi: 53° Lo: 45°
Feels Like: 43°
Roseburg
Cloudy
51° wxIcon
Hi: 60° Lo: 49°
Feels Like: 51°
North Bend
Cloudy
52° wxIcon
Hi: 58° Lo: 49°
Feels Like: 52°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner

LATEST FORECAST

Community Events