COBURG, Ore. -- A car overheated and exploded into flames Wednesday afternoon in a parking lot in Coburg.
Coburg Fire and Rescue were called to Travel America on Industrial Way and Pearl St. around 3:30 p.m. When they arrived, firefighter found a minivan completely engulfed in flames. It took first responders about 10 minutes to knock out the fire. Captain Brandt Enright said the driver did the right thing by pulling away from the gas pumps.
"It was a really good call on their part, to stay away from the pumps and get away from the vehicle," Right said. "Once a vehicle catches on fire there's not much of value that can be saved. So we're concerned about life safety, other property safety and of course firefighter safety."
Right said the driver and a passenger were traveling through Oregon and neither are local to the state. He said the minivan is a total loss but the occupants told firefighters they arranged a ride to their final destination.