EUGENE, Ore.-- Students at Monroe Middle School inspired each other to be inclusive Thursday, at the annual unity assembly. The goal was to give students and staff a chance to share a message of hope, respect, and inclusion for everyone.
Students, teachers, and parents took part in activities, and listened to testimonials of students, hoping to inspire others to be make everyone feel welcome.
We spoke to an 8th grader and class president at Monroe. She said she and her friends are trying to do their part in including others.
"If somebody's sitting alone I will try and see if they maybe want to sit with me and my friends or if they want to you know, be involved with us. So they're not completely alone," Mahlia Mosely said.
Several students and teachers were given awards for their efforts in integrity, character, and respect.
- Monroe Middle School students get inclusive for unity assembly
- Parents reunited with kids after lockdown at Monroe Middle School
- EXCLUSIVE: Man saves teen shot near Monroe Middle School
- Monroe Middle School screens 'Celling Your Soul' documentary
- Unity Center whistleblower sues county, Unity for $1.1M
- Middle school student hospitalized with meningococcal disease
- Hamlin Middle School students building wind turbines
- Roseburg middle school student arrested for school threat
- Eugene police seek suspect in shooting that put Monroe Middle School on lockdown
- Teen charged in shooting near Monroe Middle School pleads not guilty