LANE COUNTY, Ore. -- There's a new sheriff in town: Cliff Harrold was sworn in as the new Lane County Sheriff Tuesday morning.
Harrold served on now-former Sheriff Byron Trapp's executive team for the last four years, but he's been around the department for about 30 years.
The county board chose the new sheriff after Trapp announced earlier this month that he was retiring in the middle of his term. Trapp recommended Harrold, who said he's ready to work.
"My first step will be to appoint a chief deputy so I have a teammate to join into the executive team to start steering the organization or continuing steering the organization," he said.
Surrounded by family, friends and other members of law enforcement, Harrold was sworn in to oversee the sheriff's office.
"It's surreal and something he's wanted for a long long time," said Dana Harrold, Cliff's mother.
Harrold said there's a few issues such as lack of funding and resources that he plans on tackling in the future. He said patrol for people who live outside incorporated city limits is "unbelievably anemic." He said for this reason, more deputies are needed.
"Most folks elsewhere in the country wouldn't believe we patrol 4,600 square miles with as few people as we do," he said.
He said he's already looking at other areas in the state as a model.
"There's a district carved out in the county of Washington County where the residents of that district have agreed to pay a little more in taxes so that they can have deputy sheriffs assigned just to their district."
WEB EXCLUSIVE: Full interview with retiring Sheriff Byron Trapp
The position of sheriff will be held by Harrold through 2020, and he said he does plan on running to keep the position.
KEZI 9 News asked Harrold about the potential unfair advantage he will have over the opponent.
"All I can say is that it's been an honor to serve this organization for over 28 years and now I get the privilege to serve as the appointed sheriff for the next year and a half," he said.
Next year, the future of the position will be in the hands of Lane County voters.
- NEW SHERIFF IN TOWN: Cliff Harrold sworn in
- Cliff Harrold appointed Lane County sheriff
- Coast Guard rescues hiker off cliff
- New Lane County commissioners sworn in
- Dog stranded on cliff on Oregon coast rescued
- Deputies: Jennifer Hart was drunk while driving SUV off cliff
- Authorities rescue man who fell from cliff near Lincoln City
- Suspect falls down cliff after vehicle pursuit in Coos County
- Walters sworn in as chief justice of Oregon Supreme Court
- Pint-sized police officer sworn in to Springfield department