Need to replace documents lost in fire? Here’s what to do

Do you know anyone who had to evacuate without important documents? Here's how they can be replaced.

Posted: Sep 13, 2020 3:15 PM

SALEM, Ore. – The Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles is sharing information on how residents can replace important documents that may have been lost in a fire.

With many Oregon residents having to evacuate quickly, some may have left without their driver license, ID card, or proof of vehicle ownership.

Oregonians who need to replaced damaged documents can go online to take care of most of these needs at

Local DMV offices are open by appointment-only for limited transactions.

Below is more information about what steps you may need to take:

  • Update your mailing address: If you have a new mailing address or are having mail sent to a trusted family member or friend, use the online tool to let DMV know. This is important to do before ordering a replacement license/ID card.
  • Replace a license/ID card: Order a replacement license or ID card online through DMV2U. It will be mailed to the address on record, so be sure to update your mailing address if needed before ordering a replacement. The card will be printed with the photo on file.
  • Get proof of vehicle ownership: Go to DMV2U to view vehicle information and order a replacement registration card.
  • Reporting the loss of vehicle: You can notify DMV of the sale or total loss of a vehicle you own using our online form, or notify us by mail.
  • Order a replacement title: Ordering a replacement title must be done by mail. A fillable form is available on the website to print and mail to DMV.

To complete most online transactions, you will need your driver license or ID card number, as well as other information known only to you. If you do not know your card number, call DMV Customer Assistance at 503-945-5000 for help.

If you are in a car or RV with expired registration tags, remember that there is an enforcement moratorium in place through the end of the year.

You can learn more about how to replace DMV-issued documents on the DMV wildfire resource page. For information about the current status of wildfire activity in the state, go to

Partly Cloudy
47° wxIcon
Hi: 66° Lo: 46°
Feels Like: 45°
Partly Cloudy
50° wxIcon
Hi: 61° Lo: 46°
Feels Like: 50°
54° wxIcon
Hi: 67° Lo: 42°
Feels Like: 54°
North Bend
Partly Cloudy
52° wxIcon
Hi: 59° Lo: 45°
Feels Like: 52°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner


Community Events