NORTH BEND, OR. -- The North Bend High School principal who admitted to making students read the bible will be reassigned to another role next school year.
The North Bend School District will be implementing changes across the district after reaching an agreement with Liv Funk and Hailey Smith.
The two LGBTQ students alerted the Oregon Department of Education about the discrimination they felt was happening at the high school.
One of the issues they raised was that they had been told High School Principal Bill Lucero was having students read passages from the Bible.
With this agreement, he will be reassigned.
“The agreements do make some personnel changes that go into effect for next school year for us,” said North Bend School District Human Resources Director Brad Bixler. “The principal of the high school will be reassigned to another position in the district that’s not be determined yet.”
We were able to meet with Lucero in person, but he told us he wasn’t available to do an interview at the time.
The district has also requested the school resource officer be replaced, but the police department will make that decision.
North Bend School District will also retain an outside expert who will consult with them on the district’s policies and procedures about harassment.
Bixler said he believes these changes will create a culture of acceptance and support for the students.
“And that’s what we’re going to change,” said Bixler. “And I believe with the ACLU and the ODE’s help, we’ll be in a much better place very quickly to support all our students.”
The district said the agreement with these two students also creates a five year partnership with the ACLU and the Oregon Department of Education for the sake of oversight and growth of the district.
- North Bend School District responds to reassignment of high school principal
- North Bend High principal resigns amid discrimination case
- North Bend students speak out about accusations against school district
- North Bend police respond to report of school threat
- Police respond to report of threat at North Bend High School
- Creswell High School Principal and Assistant Principal Resign
- Principal at Lebanon school resigns
- Driver flees after crashing into North Bend school bus
- North Bend district accused of forcing Bible reading
- North Eugene High School celebrates Decision Day