EUGENE, Ore.-- Officials with Oregon Occupational Safety and Health are investigating a fatal accident that killed a worker Saturday morning at a Beltline construction site.
According to Eugene Springfield Fire, a worker in his early sixties was pinched between an excavator and a barrier near the Delta Highway and Beltline interchange just before 11 a.m. When first responders arrived, the worker had been freed and was transported to Riverbend hospital with "serious" injuries.
The Oregon Department of Transportation said the accident halted work on the project for some time.
According to officials, the worker was an employee of contractor Hamilton Construction. In a statement, the company confirmed the death and told KEZI 9 News, "Our thoughts and prayers are with the family, friends and co-workers. We lost a great employee and friend."
The company said that safety is it's top priority and will cooperate with authorities to investigate the cause of the accident.
OSHA said it has 180 days to complete the investigation.
According to the US Bureau of Labor statistics, in 2018 there were nearly 5,000 public workplace deaths with over 1,000 of those being construction related -- accounting for over 20 percent of workplace fatalities
In Oregon, of 62 public workplace fatalities, 11 were in construction.
OSHA specifies four key dangers they coin the "fatal four" in construction; falls, electrocution, being struck by an object, or getting caught in or between something.
According to ODOT, work is being done in the center median of the Beltline highway, closing center lanes in both directions throughout the weekend. Officials said lane closures are still expected to end by 6 a.m. Monday morning.
- Worker killed at Beltline construction site; investigation underway
- Special Report: Rebuilding Beltline
- Delta and Beltline highway closures precede exchange construction
- Construction to begin soon on Delta Highway and Beltline interchange
- Construction on Delta/Beltline interchange halted after workplace injury
- Beltline reopens after 6-vehicle crash
- University of Oregon construction site flooded
- Traffic Alert: Delta Highway, Beltline ramp closures
- ODOT holds open house on Beltline projects
- Rollover crash on Beltline causes traffic delays