AZALEA, Ore. -- A Winston man is facing charges after a police pursuit in Azalea, and Oregon State Police said it ended with the driver crashing not once, but twice.
Police said a trooper tried to stop Garrett Nielsen, 24, Wednesday morning on I-5 near the Azalea exit. They said the driver floored it on Autumn Road instead of stopping.
Troopers said Nielsen crashed his full-size truck into a parked trooper’s vehicle and ran to a nearby home where he stole a pickup. They said Nielsen then crashed a second time a short while later.
Nielsen was taken to the hospital for possible injuries.
He is now in jail facing a list of charges, including unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, reckless endangerment, first-degree burglary, first-degree criminal trespass, attempt to elude a police officer, second-degree criminal mischief, parole violation and more.
- OSP: Winston man crashes twice during police pursuit in Azalea
- Winston man arrested after police pursuit
- Loggers find dog belonging to missing Azalea man
- Winston man dies in crash
- OSP lab backlog delays Springfield crash investigation
- Winston man, two dogs killed in crash
- Missing Winston man found dead
- OSP responds to fatal crash on HWY 99
- OSP identifies drivers, bicyclist in crash north of Springfield