COTTAGE GROVE, Ore. -- A man shot in an early morning officer-involved shooting has died, according to the Lane County Sheriff's Office.
Joey Loop, 40, was shot by officers at a commercial marijuana facility in the Cottage Grove area.
Sgt. Carrie Carver of the sheriff’s office said just before midnight officers responded to a dispute and reports of shots fired at the marijuana facility in the 78600 block of Cedar Park Road.
Deputies searched the area, but were unable to find the suspect.
Just after 1 a.m. the sheriff's office's special response team was called in to assist. Deputies used a loud speaker to call into a building on the property where they thought the suspect was located.
Richard Sedlock, who lives nearby, said he was getting ready to take his wife to the airport shuttle when he heard the deputies over the loudspeaker telling Loop to surrender. Soon after, Sedlock said he heard gunshots.
"I didn't really know what to think with that much law enforcement on the scene 'cause you know there were spot lights on the building up and lots of red and blue flashing lights, and I thought things were under control," Sedlock said.
At about 3:45 a.m., the suspect exited the building with a gun, and two deputies fired at the suspect, striking him. He was taken to a hospital by ambulance. His identity was not released at the time.
The deputies involved were placed on administrative leave. Their identities have not been released.
The incident is being investigated by the Lane County Interagency Deadly Force Investigation Team.
A road block was in place at the intersection of Cedar Park Road and Row River Road.
- Man dead after officer-involved shooting in Cottage Grove
- Friends remember Cottage Grove man killed in officer-involved shooting
- Cottage Grove armory sparks controversy
- Cottage Grove Police Search for Missing Man
- Cottage Grove incident fifth officer-involved shooting in area this summer
- DA: Use of deadly force justified in Cottage Grove officer-involved shooting
- Cottage Grove warming center needs volunteers
- Federal investigation on Cottage Grove marijuana operation
- Car barrels into Cottage Grove home
- Cottage Grove woman celebrates 100th birthday