Photo Gallery 4 Images
COTTAGE GROVE, Ore. -- One person is dead after an early morning fire in Cottage Grove Monday.
Crews responded around 5:45 a.m to 1557 Highway 99 #76 and found a trailer fully engulfed in flames.
Two people were able to make it out of the mobile home and were checked out on the scene. They were not hurt.
Firefighters were unable to enter the home, which was completely destroyed. Police said one man was unable to make it out.
The cause of the fire is under investigation. Police believe the age of the mobile home might have played a factor in the fire.
“Just because of the age of these, they are pretty volatile when they catch on fire,” Officer Doug Skaggs said. “Luckily the fire department has a quick response time. They arrived here very soon and they were able to calm it down a little bit so the other houses weren’t in danger.
Officers did evacuate nearby residents during the incident. South Lane Fire and Rescue assisted firefighting efforts.
KEZI spoke with Tabitha Barnett who lives across from the home that was destroyed. She said it was a mad rush Monday morning when she saw the fire just outside her window.
"Panic, scary, panic, adrenaline,” said Barnett. “Worried about if people are in there or weren't in there. Making sure we got our pets out, the baby out, make sure we have our important stuff.”
Crews want this situation to serve as a reminder for people to be extra cautious when using space heaters.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
- Man dead in early morning mobile home fire in Cottage Grove
- Car barrels into Cottage Grove home
- Cottage Grove working to contain Zombie Home
- Cottage Grove armory sparks controversy
- Man dead after officer-involved shooting in Cottage Grove
- Cottage Grove Police Search for Missing Man
- Fire damages Cottage Grove home, displaces two families
- Cottage Grove warming center needs volunteers
- Federal investigation on Cottage Grove marijuana operation
- Cottage Grove woman celebrates 100th birthday