CRESWELL, Ore. --One man is hospitalized and another was detained by law enforcement following a shooting in rural Creswell Wednesday morning, Oregon State Police said.
OSP said the man who was shot, 23-year-old Logan Linderman of Eugene, sustained non-life threatening injuries and was taken to RiverBend Hospital in Eugene. OSP said 29-year-old Kayln Simpson of Creswell was detained and is cooperating with the investigation.
The shooting happened at about 7:30 a.m. outside a residence at 82270 North Pacific Highway, south of Creswell. Arriving deputies located the two men on the property.
A woman who lives on that block told KEZI 9 News the victim was on her property, jumped the fence onto her neighbor's land and was then shot. Police did confirm that two addresses were involved in the shooting.
James Gilvin says he lives 500 feet from where it all took place and rushed over the minute he heard about the shooting to make sure everyone was okay. He said a man in his seventies lives there with his two sons who are in their forties or fifties.
"I'm under the assumption that someone came onto his property and he probably dropped him," Gilvin said.
He said although everyone looks out for one another in their community, people are starting to react to the increase in crimes.
"There's been a lot of thefts around here, a lot of people stealing, a lot of drug activity that's not normally in this area, so people are getting tired of it is what it is," Gilvin said.
Oregon State Police and the Lane County Sheriff’s Office are investigating the incident, and OSP is leading the investigation.
Stay with KEZI for updates.
- Man hospitalized following Creswell shooting
- Transient injured by ax in Creswell hospitalized
- Creswell fire damages offices
- Creswell fire leaves 3 homeless
- Flames tear through Creswell barn
- Blitzing the Preseason: Creswell Bulldogs
- Creswell lumber warehouse fire considered suspicious
- Unofficial voter pamphlets spark controversy in Creswell
- Heavy police presence being reported in Creswell
- Flames and smoke billow from Creswell home