VENETA, Ore. -- The Oregon Country Fair is back in Veneta gracing the city with all its rainbow glory -- a tradition for thousands of people all over the country who want to gather together and "just be."
Thousands of cars are flooding to the 50th annual fair. But with more people comes a higher risk of something going wrong.
Charlie Ruff, an organizer, says he isn't concerned. He says they have six security crews and more than 65 people trained to intervene in crisis situations.
He also said they are expecting to sell out this year. That's over 60,000 people.
"It's just like any other family," said Ruff. "People have babies and their babies have babies and we have five generations of people so it just continues to grow and because there is such an attraction to what manifests here --more and more people come to visit from the outside as well."
He says even though the event has grown year after year the attitude of the people has stayed the same and he expects nothing short of another magical celebration.
And he's not the only one who feels that.
Shelby Zamboni is a longtime fairgoer and vendor who says the community they create is like no other.
"It's the most beautiful city that we create for a month to a week at a time every year and it's the most beloved family reunion that I've ever been to," Zamboni said.
Steve Michaud has been coming to the fair for over 20 years and says as much as the numbers continue to rise, he loves how things seem to stay the same.
"It's kind of funny," Michaud said. "There's a lot of people I don't see all year long, and I come here and get the opportunity to see them. It's like I saw them just yesterday. It's not like it's been a full year since I've seen them. We pick right back up where we left off."
The fair goes until 7 p.m. Sunday.
- Oregon Country Fair to attract record crowds
- Oregon Country Fair breaks attendance records
- Oregon Country Fair kicks off 49th year
- Oregon Country Fair kicks off Friday near Veneta
- Oregon Country Fair takes steps to help environment
- Oregon Country Fair cleans up, gets ready for 50th celebration
- Oregon Country Fair works to improve cell service
- Lane County commissioners looking into Oregon Country Fair concerns
- Noise, traffic, trash: Oregon Country Fair sparks complaints
- Oregon Country Fair patrols yield multiple arrests, citations and more