EUGENE. Ore. - The University of Oregon Athletic Director Rob Mullens announced on Tuesday that head football coach Willie Taggart has accepted the position of head football coach at Florida State University.
It hasn't even been a year since Taggart held his introductory press conference at Oregon, replacing Mark Helfrich. Now Mullens has to once again find a new head football coach.
Players were called together for a meeting with Taggart Tuesday afternoon.
READ MORE: UO players to meet with Taggart
In Taggart's lone season he led the Ducks to a 7-5 record overall and berth in the Las Vegas Bowl.
Co-offensive coordinator and offensive line coach Mario Cristobal will serve as the interim head coach.
"I am grateful to Mario Cristobal for his willingness to step up and lead our program through our upcoming bowl game," said Mullens.
Mullens said the university has started a nationwide search for a new head coach.
Mullens will hold a press conference Tuesday at 4 p.m.
- Oregon begins search for next head football coach
- Oregon State hires Jonathan Smith as next head football coach
- Mario Cristobal officially named Oregon head football coach
- Gary Andersen out as Beavs head football coach
- Oregon State football coach set to leave again
- Fireworks sales begin in Oregon
- Leavitt, Oregon football part ways
- Oregon football holds Pro Day
- Ducks name Gamble head lax coach
- Mario Cristobal expected to be named permanent head football coach for Ducks