Photo Gallery 2 Images
EUGENE, Ore -- On Saturday, April 14, a young girl's wish came true thanks to the Kids Wish Network. They granted the wish of Ashlee Cleary, 13, who is challenged with a lifelong diagnosis of neurofibromatosis. It is a condition that causes tumors to form in the brain, spinal cord, and nerves.
Her condition was discovered after she noticed she had flat, pigmented spots on her skin, which are sometimes referred to as "giraffe spots." She underwent testing and it was later determined that Ashlee had the genetic disorder.
Ashlee wanted to enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime shopping experience and the Kids Wish Network made her wish a reality at Valley River Center.
10 stores participated and agreed to provide surprises for Ashlee, including Forever 21, Rue 21, Bath & Body Works, Sephora, Claire's, Candy Tyme, Rocky Moutain Chocolate Factory, Healthier Nail, American Eagle Outfitters, and Build-A-Bear.
KEZI 9 News spoke with Ashlee's mother, Debra Clearly. She said she is so thankful for the amount of people who came together to make her daughter feel so special. Debra said Ashlee's journey has been a long road of surgeries and recoveries and that this shopping spree experience makes her feel valued. "It's been very encouraging to see so many people come out and support this journey that we've had with Ashlee going through all of her surgeries and all of her medical experiences. It had been quite taxing and trying on her," said Debra.
Ashlee is currently awaiting a spinal fusion. She has had numerous complications due to treatment for a tethered spinal cord. Debra said Ashlee manages to remain positive and recovers more each day.
- Oregon girl becomes Wish Kid, gets shopping experience of a lifetime
- Oregon girl makes selfless wish on stage at Katy Perry concert
- Local child becomes Make A Wish Oregon recipient
- Man moves closer to trip of a lifetime
- The power of giving: Eugene woman gets gift of lifetime
- Eugene Marathon grants it's sixth wish
- Man sentenced for sexually abusing Oregon girl
- 4th Annual Grilled Cheese Experience is underway
- Springfield boy has Make-A-Wish dream come true
- Oregon day care provider admits leaving kids to go tanning