PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Oregon Heath & Science University reversed course and will put an undocumented immigrant on its waiting list for a liver transplant.
The Portland hospital informed 46-year-old Silvia Lesama-Santos on Monday that she was ineligible because she lacked "lawful permanent residence or immigration documentation."
The hospital changed its decision Tuesday night after the American Civil Liberties Union of Oregon informed media outlets about the woman's plight and started an online petition.
In a statement, OHSU said its leaders had been unaware of the "archaic" policy, and it has been terminated.
The ACLU says Lesama-Santos has lived in the Portland area for three decades. The mother of four has health insurance through her husband's employer.
- Oregon hospital puts undocumented woman on transplant list
- Heart transplant survivor pushes for new bill recognizing organ donors
- OHSU patient speaks out after heart transplant program suspended
- Oregon woman accused of shooting boyfriend
- Arizona woman accused of killing Oregon man
- Worms removed from eye of Oregon woman
- Woman's body found in Oregon hotel room
- Remains identified as missing Oregon woman
- Oregon woman accused of mistreating three children
- Oregon man committed to mental hospital for beheading mother