PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- An Oregon man has been convicted of stealing Social Security benefits intended for his elderly mother, who has been missing for years.
The Oregonian/OregonLive reports that 64-year-old Theodore Martin Kirk was found guilty Wednesday of taking more than $30,000 in benefits meant for Nadine Kirk.
Police say Kirk continued withdrawing monthly benefits from their shared bank account although Nadine Kirk has been missing from the town 302 miles (486 kilometers) south of Portland since March 2010 and is presumed dead.
Authorities say a community member inquired about the woman in July 2015 when she would have been 98 years old.
An investigation found the last transaction bearing Nadine Kirk's signature was dated January 2010.
Kirk faces a maximum prison term of 10 years at his scheduled sentencing on June 27.
- Oregon man guilty of stealing benefits from missing mother
- Man found guilty of murdering Springfield mother
- Bodies found of missing Oregon mother and son
- Oregon man admits to stealing from grandmother to gamble
- Oregon man sentenced for fraudulently using benefits card
- Police seek Oregon man in case of missing mother and 3-year-old
- Oregon man committed to mental hospital for beheading mother
- Daughter accused of stealing $300K from 86-year-old mother
- Daughter continues search for missing mother
- Search continues for missing Springfield mother