EUGENE, Ore. -- Oregon baseball will open the 2020 season against Minnesota on Friday.
It's the first of three games the Ducks will play as part of the 2020 Angels College Classic in Tempe, Ariz and will be fans first look at Oregon baseball in year one of the Mark Wasikowski era.
Oregon will be honoring the Altobelli family with 14 seconds of silence in Friday's game and home opener on February 21. John Altobelli, his wife, and daughter were killed in a helicopter crash last month. John is the father of former Duck baseball player JJ Albtobelli. For a to be determind game later this year, the Ducks will also be hosting JJ, his fiance and sister to honor the family.
Former Oregon head coach George Horton will be joining the baseball staff at Orange Coast College where John coached.
"I sat with coach yesterday for hours at the Altobelli memorial service." current Oregon head coach Mark Wasikowski said. "The circumstance is just tragic and awful but spending time with coach and his family, he's an awesome man, and if there's someone that's going assist the people on that roster at Orange Coast College to be better people, I don't know if there's anybody better than coach."
First pitch for the Ducks game is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. on Friday.
- Oregon ready for season opener
- Crab season opens in Oregon
- Oregon dominates in season opener against Northeastern
- Oregon track & field ready for new indoor season
- Oregon ready for fall ball
- Oregon State ready for UCLA
- Web Extra: Oregon State Women's basketball on season opener (11/9/18)
- Oregon opens season with win over Hawaii Pacific
- Oregon Football ready for rematch against Auburn