EUGENE — The Oregon football team set Civil War records for points and margin of victory Saturday night in a 69-10 win over Oregon State in Autzen Stadium.
On a night Royce Freeman set a Pac-12 record for career rushing touchdowns, the Ducks (7-5, 4-5 Pac-12) exceeded the previous series record of 65 points they set in 2008 at OSU. The previous record for margin of victory was 44, set twice by the Ducks and exceeded Saturday by halftime, with Oregon led 52-7.
How It Happened: A year after seeing their eight-game win streak in the series end, the Ducks got back on the right side of the rivalry. Oregon scored on its first eight possessions, taking an early 10-0 lead on Freeman's first touchdown of the night, which tied the Pac-12 career record of 59 previously held by Ken Simonton of OSU.
Justin Herbert threw two touchdown passes to Dillon Mitchell and another to Jacob Breeland in the first half, and also ran for a touchdown just before halftime. In between, Freeman broke Simonton's record with his 60th career rushing touchdown, and freshman Jaylon Redd ran for a touchdown after an unsuccessful fake punt by the Beavers in their own red zone.
Aidan Schneider kicked his second field goal in the third quarter, the UO record 51st of his career, and Justin Hollins added a pick-six on one of three turnovers forced by the Oregon defense. Kani Benoit capped his Senior Day with a 47-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter.
Who Stood Out: Herbert completed 13-of-23 passes for 251 yards and three touchdowns, and ran for a TD. Freeman had 19 carries for 122 yards and two scores, and Benoit also had 122 yards on the ground. Mitchell caught six passes for 119 yards and two scores. Troy Dye led the UO defense with eight tackles.
What It Means: Oregon soundly defeated its rival after a week of smack talk between the two. The Ducks will move on to the bowl game with a two-game win streak.
Up Next: The Ducks will practice later this week, and find out their bowl destination next Sunday.
Story provided by UO Athletics.
- Oregon routs Oregon State in Civil War game
- Oregon beats Oregon State in Civil War 77-68
- Tres Tinkle, OSU beat Oregon in Civil War game
- Oregon St. defeats Ducks, sweeps Civil War
- Web Extra: Paul White after Oregon losses the Civil War
- Web Extra: Cory Hall discusses upcoming Civil War game against Oregon(11/22/17)
- Web Extra: Cory Hall speaks after 59 point loss to Oregon in Civil War game (11/25/17)
- Oregon men's basketball gearing up for the 352nd Civil War Game
- Fans react to Civil War game rivalry
- Special Olympics Oregon cancels State Games competition