BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Troy Brown Jr. became Oregon's highest draft pick in 14 years when he was selected 15th overall by the Washington Wizards in the first round of the 2018 NBA Draft.
The first one-and-done player ever at Oregon also became the first career first round draft pick for coach Dana Altman, who has now sent five UO players to the NBA in the last four years.
Brown Jr. is the highest Duck selected since Luke Jackson went 10th to Cleveland in 2004.
Before Thursday, Oregon's last first round selection was Aaron Brooks, who went 26th to Houston in 2007.
Brown Jr. is the 51st NBA Draft pick in UO history, and the 12th first-rounder produced by the Ducks.
One of the best players in school history, the late Greg Ballard, was a first-round selection by Washington in the 1977 NBA Draft (No. 4 overall selection). Ballard won an NBA title with the Bullets – now the Wizards – in 1978 as part of a very successful NBA career.
Other Ducks selected by the Washington franchise include Arsalan Kazemi (2nd Round, No. 54, 2013) and Stan Love (1st Round, No. 9, 1971).
Ballard and Love are the only Ducks to have played for Washington.
Brown Jr., the Pac-12 all-freshman honorable mention, selected averaged 6.2 rebounds per game to lead Oregon and rank tied for 16th in the Pac-12 in 2017-18. Brown Jr. also averaged 11.3 points and 3.2 assists per game as a freshman.
His 55 steals ranked tied for ninth on the UO single-season list. He had four double-doubles on the year, including one against Portland State where he was one assist shy of a triple-double finishing with 10 points, 10 rebounds and a career-high nine assists.
Brown Jr. scored a career-high 21 points and four steals against Colorado while pulling down seven rebounds.
Courtesy: UO Athletics
- Oregon's Troy Brown Jr. selected by the Washington Wizards
- Web Extra: Troy Dye on defending Washington State (10/17/18)
- Brown announces Oregon environmental legislation
- Last of 'The Wizard of Oz' munchkins dies
- OHSU selects next president
- PHOTO GALLERY: Oregon Defeats Washington 30-27
- Oregon standoff: Jury selection begins in FBI agent's trial
- Gov. Brown blasts proposal to oil drill off Oregon's coast
- Gov. Brown tours Garner Complex fire camp in southwestern Oregon
- Oregon GOP asks for ethics investigation into Brown campaign